We women have it stacked against us. If we are not skinny enough, we are not young enough or we are not beautiful enough. If we are too loud, we are also too aggressive or we are too bold. If we are too compliant, we become doormats or we become just a decorative vase.
With all these paradoxes about how we women are supposed to be, what are we to make of it all?
Of course, many women throughout history have walked this path before, striking the fine balance between strength and grace, confidence and humility and everything a woman is supposed to be. We’ve rounded up their collective wisdom in these 15 handpicked quotes that every woman ought to remember.
From businesswomen to artistes to astronauts to activists to authors – these quotes from amazing ladies from all walks of life are a must-read for all ladies this Women’s Day! Read these, remember these, live these.
- “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.”
– Diane von Furstenberg, Fashion Designer
- “I didn’t get there by wishing for it or hoping for it, but by working for it.”
– Estée Lauder, Businesswoman
3. Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.
– Elizabeth Gilbert, Author
- “I have stood on a mountain of no’s for one yes.”
– B. Smith, Restaurateur
- “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady of the United States
- “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.”
– Mae Jemison, NASA Astronaut
- “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.”
– Rosa Parks, Activist
- “Forget about the fast lane. If you really want to fly, just harness your power to your passion.” – Oprah, Media Mogul
- “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”
– Maya Angelou, Author
- “Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!”
– Anne Frank, Diarist and Victim of the Holocaust
- “It’s not your job to like me, it’s mine.”
– Byron Katie, Author
- “Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go. The difference in how easy it seems will amaze you.” – Heidi Johnson, Author
- “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”
– Ayn Rand, Author
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.”
– Lucille Ball, Actress
- “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller, Activist